Eurofins York (formerly York EMC Services) is an established market leader for the provision of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) assurance services to the railway industry, offering regulatory guidance, research, compliance management, testing and training.
EMC in the Rail Industry
EMC is a significant concern within the railway industry. Failures in compatibility within and between systems such as signalling, traction, control and communications can introduce unreliability and compromise the safety of passengers and staff.
We have many years of expertise, with a wide range of experience and a solid track record of demonstrating EMC for major railway projects both in the UK and worldwide.
Our in depth knowledge and experience enables us to provide a wide range of services to demonstrate EMC and safety
- EM hazard identification and risk management; desk based studies, on-site inspection, cable studies for HAZID and workshops
- EMC project management and control; EMC management plans and strategies; compilation of the EMC compliance evidence
- EMC Technical Documentation preparation for apparatus
- Cable studies and design reviews for induced voltages and other considerations
- Review of equipment documentation to ensure compliance with any project
- Analysis of EMC gaps between required and supplied specifications/evidence
- Notified Body assessment of EMC Technical Documentation
- Computational modelling
- Bespoke measurements
- EMC/EMF site surveys
- On site EMC testing
- Accredited laboratory testing for EMC, electrical safety, Radio and Telecommunications and EMF.
One of our strengths is our breadth of capabilities. We are able to apply our expertise to identify EMC problems, devise diagnostic test methods or computational models and provide data to enable issues to be understood more clearly and provide solutions.
In the UK we have worked closely with Network Rail, London Underground, Crossrail, Thameslink, DLR and TFL on many projects.
Services to the Rail Industry
In addition to our EMC and safety services listed above, our capabilities and breadth of experience enables us to offer comprehensive assistance specifically tailored to the Railway Industry.
Projects and apparatus
- Compliance and regulatory issues including non-rail equipment in a rail environment
- Network Rail/London Underground specific requirements
- On-site and accredited laboratory testing to the EN 50121-X series of standards
- Hazard identification and risk assessment
- Theoretical and computational assessments and problem solving
- On site testing of whole vehicles to EN 50121-3-1
- UKAS accredited laboratory testing of sub-systems to EN 50121-3-2
- Preparing Technical Documentation and EMC aspects of safety cases
- Preparing EMC Management Plans and Compliance Reports
- HAZID and risk management
- Laboratory accredited testing to EN 50121-4
- On-site pre and post installation EM site surveys
- Fixed Installation EMC Documentation compilation
- Pre and post installation on-site testing to EN 50121-2
- Equipment testing to EN 50121-5
- EMC Management Plans; compliance reports
- Whole line-wide EM site surveys
- Stray current measurement
- Touch voltage and induced potential measurements
- One-day Essentials of EMC in Rail course
- Unique five-day ‘Fundamentals of EMC in Railways’ course
- Bespoke, in-house EMC courses tailored to your company’s requirements covering a wide variety of subjects
We are a RISQS qualified supplier and our engineers are PTS certified and Sentinel approved for track-side work. Most of our surveys are non-intrusive.