EMC for Military (4 Days)
An understanding of EMC is key for the reliable operation of electrical/electronics equipment and systems in the military environment, in particular when using commercial equipment that may require adaptation for military use. It is also essential to understand what exactly is happening during product acceptance and testing so that any possible risks or gaps can be closed out.
Next Course dates
17th – 20th April 2023 – FULLY BOOKED
19th – 22nd June 2023 – Last few spaces available
18th – 21st September 2023
20th – 23rd November 2023
This course will be hosted at our Laboratory in Castleford, West Yorkshire.
If you would like more information or wish to book this course please call 0330 430 3456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting course code T003.
- Four days with a mixture of lectures and presentations
- 2 days designated specifically on Military EMC standards (including DEFSTAN 59-411 and MIL 461), the Military EMC Environment and Military EMC testing.
Applying the knowledge and understanding from this course will improve the management of EMC, minimise the risk of unforeseen problems and project/production delays in equipment manufacture thus reducing business risk.
Note: The course is also available for those working in product design or in the rail industry
What is it about?
This course covers the essential concepts of EMC in the military environment from the underlying theory, standards and testing through to design requirements and how to achieve EMC assurance.
Topics covered include
- Fundamentals of EM Waves and radiation mechanisms
- Decibels and the units of ‘EMC’
- The EMC Directive 2014/30/EU, it’s history, updates and implementing regulations
- Commercial EMC standards
- Overview of EMC design principles
- Conducted interference (passive devices, filters, etc)
- Shielding and enclosures
- Technical documentation
In addition to these, the course features specific sessions covering
- Military EMC standards
- The Military EMC – Platforms and Problems
- Military EMC Tests and Trials
Who should attend?
- Engineers using or specifying commercial equipment in the military environment
- Engineers concerned with EMC approvals and assurance within a military environment
- Engineers and manufacturers who make apparatus to be used for military applications
- Engineers and managers wishing to learn how the EMC is controlled throughout a project
- Engineers and manufacturers who need to understand Military EMC standards, the Military EMC Environment and Military EMC testing.
What will I achieve?
Attendees will gain
- An overview of the EMC issues affecting military applications and systems
- An understanding of the key EMC subjects within the military environment
- The ability to manage EMC effectively and achieve EMC assurance
- Knowledge of regulatory EMC requirements and the relationship to standards
- An overview of standards
- Knowledge of how EMC issues can be mitigated
- An overall understanding of both the theoretical & practical aspects of EMC in a military environment
- Introduces the key management techniques to achieve EMC
- Provides an understanding of EMC mitigation design techniques across a wide range of military applications
- 34 continuing professional development (CPD) hours* for chartered engineers or those working towards their chartered status
*Please note that the IET requirement is now 30 hours per year and can be monitored.